+ Closed Thread
Results 1 to 1 of 1
05-22-2012, 12:09 PM #1
Cabelas Club Credit Card Review - Worth Signing Up For?
The Cabela's Club Credit Card is a fairly typical retail card that offers you points earned on purchases, redeemable for goods at the outdoor merchandise superstore. It does stand out, however, in that it has two different APRs: one for purchases at Cabela's and a higher rate for all other non-Cabela's purchases. Unfortunately, the Cabela's Club card falls short in a number of areas, particularly its low 2% rebate.
Cabelas Club Credit Card
This credit card has been offered to consumers since 1995 and prompted Cabela's Club to create the World Foremost bank, which now issues the card and runs all processing. The Cabela's Club Credit Card is aimed at hunting and fishing enthusiasts who want to earn free Cabela's merchandise on their spending. This Visa card can be used outside of Cabela's, although both the rebate amount and APR are affected. Due to the high APR on non-Cabela's purchases, it's definitely advised that you never carry a balance on this credit card to avoid high interest charges and really take advantage of your Cabela's points.
Here's how the Cabela's card works:
- Begin by filling out the application online to receive instant approval with a $20 bonus in the form of Cabela's Club points. After making 5 purchases outside of Cabela's within the first 30 days, your account will be credited with an additional $10 in points.
- The Cabela's Club Credit Card earns 2% back on purchases at Cabela's and only 1% back on all other purchases. Cardholders can also access bonus point offers from a range of stores at bonuspointsnetwork.com.
- Points never expire and there is no limit to the amount of points you can earn, provided your account remains in good standing. You can redeem your Club points through any U.S. Cabela's store, through a U.S.-based catalog or through the Cabelas.com website. Every 100 points you earn is equal to $1 in Cabela's gear.
- 1-2 Points Per Dollar Spent. 2% back on purchases at Cabela's and Cenex convenience stores; 1% back on all non-Cabela's purchases. Points do not expire and there is no limit.
- Sign-Up Incentive. Earn $20 in points upon approval and an additional $10 after 5 non-Cabela's purchases within the first 30 days.
- Cabela's CLUB Visa Signature Program. You may be approved for the Visa Signature version, which earns 5% back on Cabela's purchases instead of 2%. Visa Signature also comes with complimentary concierge and travel services.
The Cabela's Club Credit Card has no annual fee and offers you the ability to earn points redeemable for free merchandise at Cabela's. The redemption process is the easiest around, as you can redeem your points in-store, through the catalog or online at the Cabelas.com website. Assuming you pay your balance in full each month, the Cabela's Club Credit Card is a good choice if you frequent the outdoor recreation store.
Unfortunately, there are a few downsides to this credit card that really weigh it down. The fact that there are two different APRs is a big turn-off, especially when the non-Cabela's APR is so high. For Cabela's purchases, the APR is 9.99% while non-Cabela's purchases range from 15.23% to 18.23%. The 2% back is also very disappointing for a retail credit card, as most offer much higher rebates for in-store purchases.
If you know you won't carry a balance and love Cabela's, you'll probably really enjoy this credit card. It makes redeeming your points easy and allows you to earn points on everyday purchases with no points limit. As long as you pay your balance in full, the Cabela's card will earn you free merchandise when you buy groceries, gasoline and more. Still, you can find plenty of better rewards cards out there that don't have the high APR and low rebate, such as the Chase Freedom Visa or the Blue Cash Everyday from American Express.